Friday, March 4, 2011

Frugal Friday~

"Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship"- Benjamin Franklin

I am always looking for ways of saving money or conserving resources.  I was "green" long before it was a coined phrase or a yuppie movement, and I continue to look for ways of running our household more efficiently and more "frugally". 

Tip of the week- whenever you can, hang your laundry on drying racks or clothes lines instead of drying them. 

This can save so much money!  Any appliance that has to generate heat is going to be your biggest energy users; this includes hair dryers, clothes dryers, and water heaters. 

The first time I tried it, there were only 4 of us (less laundry then), and it was over 20 years ago- but the savings in my first electric bill was still over $50 dollars.  With a savings like that, I was hooked!

 Purchasing racks is your only investment, and they can run between $12-$20 each.  (Rummage sales and auctions are also a great place to find extra racks.)

After letting them dry over-night, I do a quick 1-2 minute "fluff" in the dryer with a dryer sheet, and they are done.  This is less wear and tear on your clothes as well, and your clothes will last longer.
Once the weather gets nice (meaning above freezing) we start hanging the clothes out on the clothes line.  There is no better smell than clothes fresh off the clothes line- I guess that's why Febreze has a scent named after it :-)

Michelle~

No comments:

Post a Comment