Friday, August 5, 2011

Frugal Friday~

"He who does not economize will have to agonize"-Confusius

Preserving Cabbage~
There are a few great ways of preserving cabbage- choosing the one that suits you depends on how you plan on using it.  One year, we tried making sauerkraut, but Loren and I were the only ones to eat it, so now I freeze it and use it in stir fry meals, casseroles, and soups.

I prefer a white cabbage for freezing, but I also grow red cabbages to use fresh during the summer for coleslaw and other summer salads. The red cabbage tends to "color" dishes with it's red color when it's cooked, so I stick to the white cabbage.

After cleaning the cabbage and coring it, it can be frozen either in wedges (see above) or it can be cut up or grated and frozen that way. (below)

I steam the cabbage for about 5 minutes, then plunge it into cold water, shake the water out, and bag it in a freezer bag for freezing.

Grated or Wedges
Cabbage is an easy and inexpensive food to grow and preserve.  Start them as seedlings or plant them directly into the garden.  You can actually grow 2 crops a year in most parts of the U.S. if you start the seedlings indoors.

Bring on the coleslaw!