Friday, December 9, 2011

The Frenzy that is the Season

For years, I have sermonized on how we need to simplify Christmas, spend less money on each other and spend more time WITH each other.  You know, "The Reason for the Season" type of mentality.

Comparing the crowds that flock to the stores and the meager attendance at church over the Christmas season, it demonstrates what institution influences our communities the most, and it makes me more than a little scared about the future.

It's a tough cultural nut to crack.  I wish I had the language to present it as well as Jan Hatmaker did in this post.  And because she did it so well, I'll let you read HER take on Christmas.  It is right on the mark and I couldn't have said it better.

http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-christmas-conundrum

I hope this philosophy takes root and becomes the norm, so that the focus of Christmas is on Jesus, Faith, and Family, instead of the idol of Consumerism and Entitlement.


Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment