Saturday, June 4, 2011

Frugal Friday

“A bargain ain't a bargain unless it's something you need.”
--Sidney Carroll

Yes, it's Saturday, but I had to put off the Frugal Friday until today because today was Rummage Sale Day!  Frugal lovers ultimate shopping trip. 

 The kids LOVE going rummaging with their Grandma Lee- it becomes a small town treasure hunt for them, and they all are just giddy with the excitement of "the hunt"! 

 I'm the unpaid chauffeur. :-)

To fund their hunting binge, they have been bagging up aluminum cans, and they had just cashed them in for over $75.00, so they were practically salivating this morning to go and spend it!

 I'm not a big shopper, but I love a good bargain, and the kids made me proud today.  They purchased some really good items, like new Nike basketball shoes for $15 and some very nice Aeropostale dress shirts for $.25 each for Luke, $.50 jeans and a sleeping bag for Bri, and some $.50 tshirts and some books for Camille.  They only spent $35 of their $75, so they have some left for their next rumage sale- good kids!!

We talked before the sale about the difference of buying things that they really need or want, and just buying things for the sake of buying things.  It was interesting to watch them weigh the decisions of what to buy, and I'm hoping that they will learn good buying habits when they are young.

I also got some great bargains today, and I wasn't even looking that hard.  We are down to 2 working burners on our stove, so my Mom found us this beauty for $60...

(The previous owners redecorated, and the black didn't match their kitchen....boo hoo!)

Well, I was looking for clothes for Quinn, so that I can get her clothing stash ready for her homecoming, and I hit the motherlode!!
I found a sale that had clothing in the size that she should be this fall, and I went a little crazy.  I got her 13 shirts, 4 pairs of pants, 5 sweaters, 2 dresses, 2 footie jammies, cowboy boots (aren't they the cutest?!) 2 winter coats with snowpants, and a handful of toys for the trip- all for $34.00.  Not bad.

 I can hardly wait to see these on her! (Hurry up, CCAA, so we can bring Quinn home!)

I did notice at this year's rummage sales that the prices are much higher than previous years- I think the economy is hitting everyone where it hurts, and it's going to be harder to find the steals that we've seen years past. 

However....it's still a much better option than buying all those items new. 

Happy Rummaging!

No comments:

Post a Comment