Sunday, February 26, 2012

Daniel Plan- Day 4

Well, I have to say that the family has been so supportive of our attempts to fast using the Daniel Plan this week, and I'm very proud of them for trying so hard.  Over half way through the week- whew.

And they were doing fairly well for the first few days....until we spent a Saturday at the Boys Basketball Tournament. 

Poor Bri!  She came back from the concession stand looking almost defeated.  So I asked her what was wrong, and she said "There are only 3 things that I can eat at the concession stand;  popcorn, water, or a pickle." 

It's so hard to tell them no or deny them something as simple as a treat at a ballgame.  However, I want them to develop some self discipline and not need to have immediate gratification when they want something.  I want them to understand how very fortunate they are that they HAVE the good fortune to be a middle class family in America and really want for nothing.  And to know that many kids their age go without some of these basic needs being filled every day.  This knowledge adds purpose to our little fast.

We have become Label Reading Fools, and we are absolutely outraged at the bad stuff that gets snuck into some supposedly healthy food.  We found HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in most of the healthy whole grain breads, sugar in ketchup, oatmeal, wheat thins, and just about everything thing in our kitchen, and the final insult is the artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, MSG, and aspartame in many places that we didn't expect them. 

Sneaky buggers.

I'm finding that there are certain times in a day that I have set aside either for a little snack, or for a Diet coke.  Those are times that I struggle through, trying to keep busy and not think about how my body is craving sugar and caffeine.  Of course, that is the purpose of a fast- to lean on God instead of leaning on my addictions.

I'm also beginning to understand my those people on Survivor just lay on the beach most of the day, languishing and bereft of all energy. 

IT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY CAFFEINE OR SUGAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment